AFTERCARE POST SEXUAL ASSAULT
• Move to a safe environment and seek support from someone you trust.
• Seek counseling against trauma.
• Sexual assault is never your fault. It is an act of aggression and the attacker is always at fault.
• Seek medical help for first aid and to rule out pregnancy, STD and other infections.
• Do not brush your teeth, use the toilet, wash or bathe after the assault until medico legal evidence is taken.
• Put the clothes you were wearing in an airtight plastic bag without cleaning them, so that evidence is not lost.
• Reach out for help immediately if someone threatens or blackmails you.
YOUR RIGHTS POST SEXUAL ASSAULT
• You have a right to free legal aid.
• You can file a complaint at any police station.
• You are entitled to a copy of the medical report.
• You can ask for a lady police officer.
• There is no time frame within which you have to file a sexual assault case.
• Nobody can force you to file a complaint if you do not want to.
• You can record the statement, in private, in front of the magistrate.
• You have a right to privacy so that your name is not revealed to the public.